How I use my “We’re Related App.
Russ Worthington posted a question in his “We’re Related” Facebook Closed Group, asking how we use our We’re Related app. I posted a quick answer.
Then I decided since I was working with a new hint from my app, I would record each step in a blog. It showed that the quick answer I gave Russ left a few steps out of how I use the application.
This is MY Own Way of Researching. You probably have your way.
My goal is to show one way to research those hints from the We’re Related app. The same principles can be used for any hints you find.
My second goal is in honor of Women’s History Month, I plan to find one new female ancestor each week in March 2017.
- I add the people hints first to my Excel Spreadsheet Data, using Russ Worthington’s format.
2. I check my Main Ancestry Tree, to see if the people are there.
3. I continue searching until I find the generation in my tree. No “Ring” Surname, then checked Colby. I do have a Judith Colby the mother of John Collins in my Ancestry Family Tree.
4. Using the information from the We’re Related Application on Ancestry’s search
5. I NOW have 153 hints to research
6. I do the same filter search in Family Serach
8. I compare my person, Judith Colby, with my Ancestry Tree information I already researched. I also check my shoebox for any save records that may be for Judith Colby. I did have one for birth for a Judith born of Judith and Er Colby on 7 Oct 1764. I also had save to Judith a Find A Grave Record with the same birth date.
9. I DO NOT add this birth record to my tree. The other hints from my Ancestry search need to be evaluated for location, and possible parentage of Judith.
10. I will go to the next generation, Judith Ring and do the same research I did for Judith Colby.
11. I will research, town histories, deeds, [no censuses for this time frame will give me names of the household members,] marriage records and death records. This is just a few of the records I research and compare, before adding Judith Colby’s parents.
- Ancestry We’re Related App, http://www.ancestry.com/wererelated/share/ (accessed 3 Mar 2017) via IPhone
- Ancestry, https://www.ancestry.com/ Stearns Butka Family Tree (accessed 3 Mar 2017)
- com. U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.