The Nelson name is of Scandinavian origin; derived from Nilson; meaning son of Nils. It is found in Scotland,I reland, and almost every county inEngland, especially along the coastline. In ancient times the seaboard was navigated and ravaged by the pirates of the Norsemen and Vikings.
According the book “Descendants of Thomas Nelson” and the “History of Rowley, Massachusetts,” the Nelson’s of New Hampshire, Maine and northern Massachusetts are from the Thomas line. He arrived in 1638 with Reverend Ezekiel Rogers from Rowley, Yorkshire, England. They settled Rowley, Essex, Massachusetts. Roger’s company was composed of twenty families; the Nelson’s being one of the richest.
Here is my line of Ancestors
Thomas Nelson m (1) 1626/1627 Dorothy Stapleton
m (2)1638/ 1642 Joan/JoaneDumer/Dummer
Capt Philip Nelson m (1) 1657 Sarah Jewett
m (2) 1666 Elizabeth Lowell
Joseph Nelson m 1706 Hannah Brocklebank
Jonathan Nelson m 1752 Hannah Cheney
Philip Nelson (2) m 1778 Hannah Quimby
William Nelson m 1820 Patty/Polly Teel
Benjamin P Nelson m 1849 Elinor/Eleanor Babb/Babbs
William F Nelson m 1894 Clara Jane Chase
Lillian Mae Nelson m 1920 Nathan Augustus Stearns
Lillian was my paternal grandmother.
Here a some of the sources that I will be using in my upcoming post. I will add any additional sources used with the post.
- “Town History of Rowley,Essex,Massachusetts”
- “Descendants of Thomas Nelson ofRowley,Massachusetts”
- “History ofGeorgetown,Essex,Massachusetts”
- “History ofEssexCountyMassachusetts”
- “History of the Town ofSutton,Merrimack,New Hampshire”
- “Genealogy and Family History of the State ofNew Hampshire”
- Research of D. G. Weymouth (links no longer available)
- Family papers and interviews
- Find A Grave Website
Note: I have listed the different dates and spelling of names that I found in my research..